Your browser does not support JavaScript!

VISA and Alien Resident Certificate

There are two types of visas—the Visitor Visa & Resident Visa—for International students.

The Visitor Visa

If you are permitted to enter Taiwan with a "Visitor Visa" and plan to stay in Taiwan for over half year, after arriving in Taiwan, you must change your status from a Visitor Visa to a Resident Visa. After getting a Resident Visa, you will then need to apply for an "Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)" at the Tainan County Immigration Office.

Applying for a Resident Visa

Documents Needed:

  1. A passport valid for at least six months.
  2. A duly completed application form with one photo.
  3. The original and one photocopy of the Student ID card  (The the original will be returned after verification).
  4. Application fees: 3,000 NTD.

The resident visa will take 5-7 working days to process.

The Resident Visa

If you are permitted to enter Taiwan with a "Resident Visa," you must prepare the following documents for STUST staff in order to apply for your "Alien Resident Certificate" (ARC) within 15 days upon your arrival. You will have to pay a fine if you fail to do so.

Documents Required for an ARC

  1. A duly completed application form.
  2. Two photos (1" X 1.5") taken within the past six months.
  3. The original and one photocopy of the front page of your passport and of the page stamped with the resident visa ( the original will be returned after verification).
  4. The original and one photocopy of your student ID card (the original will be returned after verification).
  5. Application fee (see the chart below).

    ► Note: Failure to extend your ARC before the expiration date will result in automatic cancellation of your ARC and mandatory deportation.

    Alien Resident Certificate Application Fees
    Duration of Stay Cost
    1 YEAR 1,000 NTD
    2 YEARS 2,000 NTD
    3 YEARS 3,000 NTD
    Overseas Chinese Student 500 NTD

    ► The Office of International Affairs at STUST will assist you with the visa application. Please pay attention to the expiration date of your visa and keep in touch with us.


Please bring a photocopy of the original official diploma (its Chinese or English version which has been certified with a seal-stamp by a Taiwan representative office or Taiwan foreign embassy/consulate in the applicant's country must be attached) and an official academic transcripts in Chinese or English (which must be certified with a stamp or embossed seal by the school attended). Students who have not yet graduated during application must submit their degree when they report to STUST; otherwise, their admission will be cancelled.

If you have any questions, please contact:
Office of International Affairs
● Mr. Darby Liao
● TEL:+886-6-2533131 EXT.1601
● Fax:+886-6-3010040
● Mail: